Today, over 90% of world production of agar-agar is for human consumption. The remaining 10% is primarily aimed at applications in microbiology, molecular biology, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. Let us have a look at its peculiar uses in more details:
The main fields of application in the food industry are for pastries and processed baked goods, such as the coating of donuts and cakes. In confectionery it is used for jellies, jams and filled candies. It is also used in yogurt and canned meat products. .
The agar is the gelling agent essential for the preparation of culture media in the well known petri dishes that play an important role in the field of clinical diagnosis and food control.
In pharmacy, the agar is used as a regulator of digestion and satiety and is also a mild laxative to treat constipation. In this industry it is also used as an excipient for the preparation of capsules and surgical lubricants.
Used as an ingredient in creams, lotions, deodorants and lipsticks. Dentistry: Agar-agar is known as a material used in the making of moulds for dental impressions. Because of its plasticity, it is able to accurately reproduce tooth shapes. Plant Culture: Its use also extends to the micropropagation or in vitro cultivation of plants like orchids.
Dicover the great variety of
sweet and salty recipes with
Pronagar. See video
Submit us your recipe with Pronagar. We will publish the most original ones. Participate